Through Trust funds provided by the Government of Japan (JTF6) since January 2015, SEAFDEC/AQD has continued implementing a regional program entitled “Promotion of sustainable aquaculture and resource enhancement in Southeast Asia” under the ASEAN-SEAFDEC Fisheries Consultative Group Program.
The main objectives of this project titled “Environment-friendly, sustainable utilization and management of fisheries and aquaculture resources” are the establishment of environment-friendly, responsible aquaculture technology, the promotion of community-based production and resource enhancement on high-value aquatic resources, and the dissemination and demonstration of resource enhancement practices.
The following activities make up this project:
- Use of plant-based protein sources in tilapia feeds for improved production traits,
- Responsible aquaculture through aquasilviculture,
- Community-based integrated production of abalone Haliotis asinina and sea cucumber Holothuria scabra through culture, sea ranching and stock enhancement,
- Promotion of resource enhancement of seahorses,
- Marine fish hatchery training program, and
- International training course on commodity-based freshwater aquaculture for remote rural areas of Southeast Asia.
This project was succeeded from a project implemented as a part of TF5 programs, which was entitled “Promotion of sustainable and region-oriented aquaculture practices”, “Resource enhancement of internationally threatened and over-exploited species in Southeast Asia through stock release”.